What A Successful Buyer’s Journey Looks LikeDecember 15, 2022
Top 10 Awesome Blogs of 2022 from Advent TrinityJanuary 1, 2023
Phone Photography: How to Take Amazing Pictures for Social Media
Visuals remain important to marketing so we have collected 15 tips and tricks to help you take better photos for social media
For small business owners seeking to capture engaging images for social media, phone photography has become the go-to option. Thanks to the accessibility of smartphone cameras, it’s easier than ever to snap a good picture on the go. However, capturing great photos with just a mobile device can still be a challenge. By practicing and following some basic tips, you can elevate your phone photography skills and start sharing pictures that will impress your audience.
Phone Photography: 15 Tips and Tricks on How to Take Amazing Photos With Your Phone
Social media is all about sharing pictures and videos with your friends, family, and followers. And while most people use their phones to take pictures these days, not everyone knows how to take good pictures with their phone. Here are 15 tips and tricks on how to take amazing photos with your phone:
1. Use the gridlines. Most phones have the option to turn on gridlines when you’re taking a picture. This can help you compositionally, by making sure your subject is in the center of the frame or at one of the intersections.
2. Use portrait mode. Portrait mode is available on many newer phones and it allows you to take pictures with a shallow depth of field, making your subject stand out from the background.
3. Find the right light. Good lighting can make or break a photo. If you’re taking a picture indoors, try to find a spot near a window where the light is coming in. And if you’re outdoors, avoid taking pictures in direct sunlight, which can create harsh shadows.
4. Use editing apps. There are tons of great editing apps available that can help you fix common problems with photos, like poor lighting or a crooked horizon.
5. Focus on one subject. When you’re taking a picture, it’s important to focus on one subject. Otherwise, your photo will look cluttered and busy. So, if you’re taking a picture of a person, make sure they’re the only thing in the frame.
6. Embrace negative space. Negative space is the empty space around your subject. And while it might seem like wasted space, it can actually help to make your photo look more aesthetically pleasing.
7. Play with angles. Instead of always taking pictures from eye level, try experimenting with different angles. Get down low, or climb up high. You might be surprised at how much of a difference it can make.
8. Use props. Props can be anything from furniture to leaves to books. And they can help to add interest and dimension to your photos.
9. Take advantage of symmetry. Symmetrical photos are visually pleasing, so if you can find a way to incorporate symmetry into your shots, it can really elevate your photos.
10. Get close to your subject. One of the best ways to make your subject stand out is to get close to them. So, if you’re taking a picture of a person, try to fill the frame with their face.
11. Take candids. Candid photos are often more interesting than posed ones. So, instead of asking your subject to smile for the camera, try to capture them in a natural moment.
12. Be patient. Sometimes the best shots come when you least expect it. So, instead of trying to force a photo, be patient and wait for the perfect opportunity.
13. Clean your phone’s lens. This might seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to make sure your phone’s lens is clean before taking a picture. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a blurry or smudged photo.
14. Don’t be afraid to experiment. The best way to learn how to take good pictures with your phone is to experiment and try new things. So go ahead and experiment with different angles, lighting, and compositions. And who knows, you might just surprise yourself with a great photo.
15. Before and after photos. Before and after photos are social media gold. Make sure you take the photo from the same exact location in the same light so your customers can see the dramatic difference.
Take Better Photos
Now that you’ve got the tips and tricks to take amazing photos with your phone, put them into practice and see the results for yourself. And when you’re ready to really up your social media game, contact ATMA. We’re experts at creating content for social media posts that will stop scrolling thumb users in their tracks. With years of experience in design, marketing, and photography, we know what it takes to make a great photo – no matter what device you use.