Hashtags have been used for more than a decade to “brand” a post on social media. Not only are they a way to have a little fun amongst individuals on the various platforms as a punchline or commentary, but they are also a great way to increase a business’s visibility and engagement.
That simple little # symbol can give individuals convenient context and cues for recall, group together posts and images, and update a group of like-minded individuals on certain a topic in real-time. As a business, you want to use hashtags that help your content get discovered by potential clients and customers, and to be part of a larger conversation around topics applicable to your business.
In marketing your business, use hashtags to create conversations without having to worry about finding participants which can lead to traction and sales. Think of them as magic words that will boost your business. Even though hashtags were originally created to organize content, they’ve recently become a way to create conversations and promote brands and people. Hashtags are gaining popularity on Facebook and the best part is they’re easily searchable.
How to Use Hashtags
The key is to use hashtags sparingly and only when they add value. Use them too much, and they can be unclear, frustrating, or just plain annoying.
Here are the “rules” of using hashtags on Facebook:
- A hashtag should contain only one to two words without spaces
- No punctuation should be included
- Include the hashtag within or after your message
- They must be public to be searchable
- Discover hashtags used by others in your niche
- Be creative
Why You Should Use Hashtags
And here are the reasons why you need to use them:
- Expands your reach – Helps people interested in niche topics find each other and join the conversation
- Strengthens your brand – Helps an idea or product catch on
- To promote specials and events – Use a special hashtag in your posts to promote your events
- Captures new fans and leads – Reaches individuals within key audiences and gets them to engage with your page or cause
Now, get out there and create a viral hashtag and watch your business boom!